Mina Tang is an intelligence analyst at Alpha Protocol. Her primary task in the organization is encrypting and decrypting information. Her latest work has revealed that there are several missing advanced prototype missiles from Halbech's stock. Mina can also train new recruits to the organization in firearms basics.
Mina Tang becomes Michael Thorton's primary handler after the events of Operation Desert Spear. She will interact with Mike throughout most of his missions and will try to aid him in their goals of stopping Halbech from starting a global conflict for profit.
Pre-Alpha Protocol Events Edit
Before Mina Tang joined Alpha Protocol, she worked at NSA as a recommendation by her calculus professor who found her mathematical skills extraordinary. However, she felt the work is unsatisfying and decided to quit the NSA as she felt not making the world a safer place. Alpha Protocol soon contact her and ask her to join Alpha Protocol, soon she agrees. In truth, she secretly worked with another secret agency (possibly with the NSA) and gave them Alpha Protocol information and trying to sabotage their plans.
Alpha Protocol Events Edit
Mina is the first person that Thorton met while recruited into Alpha Protocol. She helps guide him till he reach the interrogation room. They meet again in the weapon training and properly introduced themselves. Thorton soon go through the weapon orientation before he prepares his mission in Saudi Arabia. She is Thorton's handler for the airfield mission. She soon warn Michael about the missiles hitting the area as Halbech tries to destroy the evidence. She detailed him about the situation and half lies to him that Alpha Protocol declared him rogue as she knew Alpha Protocol wants him dead when he returned back to base and having him rogue is the only way to stop Halbech and Alpha Protocol.
Mina Tang is an analyst first, a tactician second, and a field agent third. She's been with Alpha Protocol for about a year, working primarily in encrypting and decrypting information. She assists Alan Parker on intel assignments, but is also called upon to help train new recruits in firearm basics. Her data analysis led to the discovery of several missing advanced prototype missiles from Halbech's stock, and the evidence she obtained forms the basis for Operation Desert Spear (the mission to track down and deal with Sheik Ali Shaheed and recover the stolen Halbech missiles).
Mina was with the National Security Agency for several years before coming to Alpha Protocol, they asked her to join out of college, right after a calculus professor had told a friend in the NSA about her mathematical ability. All her reviews at the NSA bordered on above average to outstanding, but eventually she decided the work was not for her, and resigned. According to records, Alpha Protocol contacted her the hour after she placed her resignation letter on her superior's desk at the NSA. Once Alpha Protocol explained their purpose and her assignment, she agreed to join the agency.
Mina found work within the National Security Agency unsatisfying - and to quote her own words, she "didn't feel she was doing much to make the world a safer place." She has had more luck with Alpha Protocol - her field work with Alan Parker in Halbech's Milan office was largely responsible for the discovery of the missing Halbech missiles and the first mission to Saudi Arabia. It is unusual, however, in that both Mina and Parker were made unaware of each others presence.
Mina has been inserted into Alpha Protocol as a spy to monitor their activities - as such, it is possible she never truly resigned her role in the National Security Administration, but instead, has continued to feed them information about Alpha Protocol's activities.
Secret Fact: Mina is directly responsible for interfering with Operation Desert Spear, cutting Michael Thorton loose from the agency and forcing him to enact Alpha Protocol. She claims she did this because only a rogue agent operating independently can stop Halbech and Alpha Protocol - and in effect carry out her mission to expose and dismantle the secret agency for her.
Interactions with Michael ThortonEdit
- Mina is the first person Michael is introduced to at the beginning of the events of Alpha Protocol. She tries to aid in his "escape" from the medical bay of the Graybox and is met in-person once the test of his ability to handle stress is completed, where she administers the basic orientation firearms competency testing.
- She is the most prominent handler in the game, appearing as such more often than any other handler option.
- She is a possible romance option.
- Mina can be executed or abandoned to die by the player during the final mission. Regardless of whether Halbech is sided with, the player can find Mina tied to a chair and locked in the firearms training course with explosives set to destroy the facility. After a short discussion, Michael has the option to release her or execute her. If the player chooses not to enter the firing range, Mina dies in the ensuing explosion.
- At the end of the game, if the player is with her on the boat, unless your reputation with her is +7 or you slept with her, she won't hug Michael. If the romance with her occurred, Mina hugs Michael affectionately and sails off with him.
Notable Quotes Edit
- "SIE- well that explains the overabundance of testosterone over the line."
- — Mina to SIE
Dossier Locations Edit
- 1: Obtained during the introduction mission in the Graybox.
- 2: Complete Mina's challenge in Graybox training mission.
- 3: Obtained during the conversation with Mina herself before the mission Bug Al-Samad Airfield in Saudi Arabia by selecting the Dossier dialogue option.
- 4: Obtained from an intel pick-up in the CIA listening post in Rome during the mission Bug CIA Listening Post.
- Secret Fact: Obtained either during the conversation with Mina herself in the Greece Safehouse after all four operations (high reputation) if the conversation is not ended by choosing the Kiss dialogue option immediately or during the final mission to Infiltrate Alpha Protocol.
|Trusted to Friendship||Constant Encouragement II||Endurance +15||With Mina's reassuring presence on your earpiece, you feel like you could walk through a hail of bullets.|
|Neutral to Liked||Constant Encouragement||Endurance +10||Mina's presence on your earpiece drives you forward - giving you an extra dose of willpower to shrug off pain and distraction.|
|Dislike||Too Busy to Play Nice||-5% cooldown on all Abilities||Your dislike of Mina keeps you unconcerned with her judgments of your conduct - and more focused on getting things done.|
|Animosity or Hatred||Too Busy to Play Nice II||-10% cooldown on all Abilities||Having completely divorced yourself from Mina's observations and judgment calls, you are completely focused on your work whenever she's handling your missions.|
- She is the first person to speak to Michael in the game.
- She is the easiest character to reach friendship level reputation with.
- Although it's suggested in her dossier and an e-mail found in Rome to be the NSA, Mina never reveals the actual agency that assigned her to Alpha Protocol.
- SIE and Mina are constantly at odds. SIE’s violent (and somewhat psychotic) methods leaves Mina to dread working with her. If Michael is in good standing with SIE, the German mercenary's flirtatious behavior towards him will also cause tension with Mina.
- Mina dislikes hearing Michael showing interest in other women, regardless of the player's reputation with her .
- A scene in one of the development trailers turned into promotional wallpaper shows a woman with long red hair in the Greece Safehouse, naked and lying in bed waiting for Michael Thorton with a gun hidden behind her back. This danger lying in wait, hidden just in front of his face appears to be Scarlet Lake, but in-game, the woman waiting in Greece is Mina - who put Michael in danger to begin with. This is either an intentional surprising twist, or a path of the story that was scrapped and remade in the game's development.
- The character's name and background may be a reference to 24's Nina Myers. The hit-TV series was admittedly one of the inspirations for the game's developers in terms of suspense and intrigue. Similar names and her revelation as a double agent who inserted herself into Alpha Protocol follows Nina's character in the show. Both reveals come at the conclusion of the stories, though Mina Tang is portrayed in a much more noble light.
| Graybox Alan Parker, Henry Leland, Michael Thorton, Mina Tang, Sean Darcy, Yancy Westridge|
|Graybox Factions Alpha Protocol, Halbech Corporation, U.S. Military Alpha Protocol|
|Saudi Arabia Ali Shaheed, Omar Mohammed bin Nasri, , Al-Samad Lieutenant, Scarlet Lake|
|Saudi Arabia Factions Al-Samad|
|Rome Conrad Marburg, Gelateria Nico Proprietor, Jibril Al-Bara, Madison Saint James|
|Rome Factions CIA, Deus Vult|
|Moscow Albatross, Championchik, Grigori Pazinhov, Konstantin Brayko, SIE, Sergei Surkov, Sis|
|Moscow Factions G22, Russian Mafia, Surkov's Guards, VCI|
|Taipei Hong Shi, Omen Deng, Ronald Sung, Steven Heck, Wen Shu|
|Taipei Factions Chinese Secret Police, NSB, White Oak Mountain Triad|