Konstantin Brayko is a major character in Alpha Protocol, appearing as the main (though not necessarily final) boss fight in the Moscow hub. A cold, cunning and extremely dangerous head of a large mafia, Brayko is the person of interest Michael searches for when he finds how Moscow was used as the shipping route for the missiles.
Born in the slums of Moscow during the Cold War, Konstantin Brayko soon proved he had more than enough resolve to survive. By age fourteen, Brayko was pimping out his three sisters, aggressively defending his territory and unafraid to kill older rivals looking to force him out of his position. Brayko gained a deserved reputation as a quick-witted kid who was just the right level of psycho to be an effective soldier. One of the bosses of the largest mafia group in Moscow is rumored to have taken him under his wing and then accepted him into his inner circle - and Brayko's rise in the criminal underworld began. Konstantin has always show a tendency for ending his rivals with his knives... while he may have one or two of his "buddies" rough up someone to get them warmed up for the main course, he inevitably will want to finish a target himself.
Brayko made a name for himself within the criminal underworld as an enforcer. Known for his baby face, gaudy clothes, and unpredictable personality, Brayko was feared more than respected. If someone owed the mob, they paid when Brayko showed up - those that tested him learned the hard way. Worse than shooting a victim and getting it over with, Brayko's M.O. involved slicing up deadbeats so bad that they wished they were dead. For those that shot back, Brayko was known for carrying multiple Skorpion submachine guns under his tacky sports coats.
According to reports, the mob boss that took Brayko under his wing was none other than Sergei Surkov - he was the one who first offered the young man a position within his organization. Brayko refused, declaring he'd never start out at the bottom again - and Surkov, impressed by Brayko's fearlessness, gave him a position within his inner circle. From there, Brayko soon became Surkov's second in command, and became close friends with the mafia boss (although he refused to emulate his mentor's cultured style, instead immersing himself in circa 1980's American pop culture). Brayko handled much of the extortion, collection, and drug trafficking for Surkov. The drug dealing is the source of friction between the two, however - Brayko dipped into his own product to excess, and was hospitalized more than once for cocaine use.
According to reports, Brayko and Surkov had a recent falling-out - Surkov announcing his intent to go legit, and Brayko splitting from Surkov's, claiming that Surkov intends to kill him. Whether the tension between the two has any basis in fact, Brayko's extensive drug use was only part of the reason for the split... the true dispute involved money, profit from deals that Surkov was involved in that he was not sharing with his protégé.
Secret Fact: Brayko's taste in clothing and decorum is undisputedly tacky... the result of a flood of American culture hitting Moscow after the wall fell. While others immersed themselves in Western culture classics, Brayko fed on the sights and sounds of the 80s. Unlike other mobsters in Moscow who took their cue from the Francis Ford Coppola movie -The Godfather - Brayko found more empathy with The Outsiders, and the gang he controls is nicknamed after it.
2. Clearinghouse intel for Assault Brayko's Mansion
3. Intel found on the counter, in the kitchen rigth next your ally during Assault Brayko's Mansion mission
4. Intel found before entering Brayko's arena during Assault Brayko's Mansion mission. Check for this Dossier in a corner of the room with three tables pushed on their sides.
Secret Fact: Prevent Surkov's Escape
Interactions with Michael ThortonEdit
- Michael fights Brayko at the end of his assault on Brayko's mansion, resulting in the chance to either execute him or speak to him to discover that Halbech's actual Russian ally is Sergei Surkov. If the truth is discovered, Brayko can be executed, extorted for money, or spared.
- If spared during the attack on his mansion, Brayko can be an ally to Michael Thorton when he goes to confront Sergei Surkov. In this case, Brayko will kill Surkov's bodyguard, Championchik. The player then has the option to either deal with Surkov themselves, or let Brayko kill Surkov slowly and painfully.
As with all bosses, the easiest way to defeat Brayko is by using Chain Shot -- equip your pistol (preferably switch to Steel or Tranqualizer ammunition), get close to Brayko, and use Chain shot to fire as many shots as you can at his head. Brilliance for quick follow-up shots is very helpful as well.
When Brayko goes into a drug-fueled rage and charges you, he can tear you up with his knife-play. Do not attempt to fight back, since he has a large damage-resistance boost and will remove all of your Endurance with his first hit regardless of how much you have. Stay away from him and wait for his drug hit to wear off. A sure (but perhaps slow) way to win the fight is to use one of two barriers provided on the level to maintain a safe distance from him until he runs out of breath:
- Front center stage (where he starts) there is a drop-off point, if you sprint ahead of him on the stage, and wait until he's a few feet away you can jump down and gain a few seconds to put some more distance between the two of you.
- The center of the room has a raised section of floor forming a sizable square just in front of the stage. Without having to sprint, you can place yourself on the opposite side of the square from Brayko and use it to keep away from him until he's winded. The reason this works is because he's not able to corner as tightly as you are.
When he's winded, he will take a knee, use this opportunity to unload your more damaging attacks into him. Also, if you bought the spiked coke from Heck from Clearinghouse under Intel, he loses health every time he drugs up, making the fight go that much quicker.
Occasionally he can get stuck right in front of the drop off point, he doesn't move and you can take him out easily, just shoot him or hit him. Also the lights never flash and then drop him off on the balcony he just stays put. This only happened once during his fight so it may not happen often.
Using Flashbangs when he's in the lower floor shooting you (that is, when he's not drugged up) will leave him very vulnerable to your attacks, and it's a good way to defeat him if you don't have many levels in combat skills.
Brayko also seems to be able to withstand knockdown shots from your shotgun while doped up. Phosphorous rounds do not have their normal effect of preventing the enemy from attacking until they put the fire out, though the fire damage is still delivered (you can keep running around to avoid getting hit while the fire damages him). This should also work with the bleeding damage from SMG hollow point rounds, though this remains to be tested.
A mission listed in italics means that msision does not to be completed to complete a playthrough. The words (Determinant) mean this character only may appear in that mission.
Brayko is obviously obbsessed with the 80's, by the style and decor of his mansion.
- During the fight between Michael and Brayko the song Turn Up the Radio is playing by Autograph.
- When Michael is asked "What could someone such as you and Brayko, possibly have to discuss?" he replies, "How Video Killed the Radio Star". This is a pop-culture reference to the 70's song by "The Buggles", which also happens to be the first music video ever played on MTV.
- Judging from the Dossier Information on Brayko (and the way he acts) he is very similar to Al Pacino's character Scarface in the movie with the same name.
- When fighting him he will say "I'm here to kick ass and chew gum, and I'm all out of gum". This is a reference to the charcter John Nada played by Roddy Piper in John Carpenter's movie They Live. This is also reference to the Duke Nukem in Duke Nukem 3D.
| Graybox Alan Parker, Henry Leland, Michael Thorton, Mina Tang, Sean Darcy, Yancy Westridge|
|Graybox Factions Alpha Protocol, Halbech Corporation, U.S. Military Alpha Protocol|
|Saudi Arabia Ali Shaheed, Omar Mohammed bin Nasri, , Al-Samad Lieutenant, Scarlet Lake|
|Saudi Arabia Factions Al-Samad|
|Rome Conrad Marburg, Gelateria Nico Proprietor, Jibril Al-Bara, Madison Saint James|
|Rome Factions CIA, Deus Vult|
|Moscow Albatross, Championchik, Grigori Pazinhov, Konstantin Brayko, SIE, Sergei Surkov, Sis|
|Moscow Factions G22, Russian Mafia, Surkov's Guards, VCI|
|Taipei Hong Shi, Omen Deng, Ronald Sung, Steven Heck, Wen Shu|
|Taipei Factions Chinese Secret Police, NSB, White Oak Mountain Triad|